Friday, November 15, 2013

You Have an Accent.

     Accents may seem foreign to some of us, but it is basically how one enunciates words and projects ones' voice. Try taking speech classes or singing classes, you will learn how the projection of your voice can change the way you sound. 

     I go on a daily basis where I get comments about my accent. Sometimes I get mocked, and other times, I get asked questions that take me aback. One prominent question that I have been asked is, "Oh, you speak English?". I become gobsmacked when I am approached by questions like this because it is offensive.  
Me being my sassy self, I will respond by saying, "Oh my, you speak English as well. Glad I found someone who speaks my language". People get offended by my response and often do not know how to respond to it. 

   It is interesting to see how society is conformed to mono culture, and mono perception. This does not pertain to the masses, but what makes us as a society or even as a human being to stick to our ethnocentrism? 
     
-Mila

No comments:

Post a Comment