Friday, November 8, 2013

What I Have Learned

I am a Communication Major and am taking this course (Comm 255) along with one another communication course now.  The other class I am taking is Comm 295.  In that course we are determining the six different learning outcomes of the department and are learning how we can apply our skills once we have graduated.  About two months ago we had guest speaker, Ben Kasica, and his team talk to our class about his company, Skies Fall.  Skies Fall is a media company in which they cover broadcast, film, photography, television, etc.  They spoke a lot about internships and what kind of assets one must possess in order to be noticed.

Around that time I needed to find a speech to cover for Comm 255 - our class!  I was intrigued by the discussion that was given by Kasica and saw he was coming back to Parkside to give another talk, but to a larger group of students.  He went more in depth and gave a lot of valuable information, and as a result of attending that speech, I decided I really wanted to get an internship with his company.  I began to pursue it.

About a month ago for my Comm 295 class I had to interview a Parkside Alumni.  I interviewed Meridith Jumisko who does public relations for Kenosha!  She gave me the rundown of her average day and how she uses her communication skills; she writes articles, creates ads and organizes events.  Cool stuff!

Ben and I continued talking about what kind of a project I could work on in the internship so that I would actually be learning something as opposed to the mundane tasks most interns get stuck with.  The main idea for that right now is for me to head up community events so that Skies Fall can connect with the Kenosha/Racine area.  The more I thought, the more I realized it was what Meridith was doing - public relations!

The writing skills that I am learning in Comm 255 are helpful for me should I choose to work closely with news sources.  I will be able to organize events in a way that would intrigue a reporter to write a colorful article - thus enhancing the image of the company!  Since I have learned how to look at a story from the perspective of a reporter, I will be able to do a better job if I get this internship!

Both classes have helped shaped my view of writing and public relations. Without Comm 255, I would not have attended the second speech, thought to apply for an internship or had a more well rounded idea of public relations!


Madison Dillard

No comments:

Post a Comment