Monday, November 11, 2013

What I've Learned in Comm 255

Throughout the semester in our Comm 255 class we've learned several things that have made us all improve overall as journalists.  This is a lot of information to take in, and is a difficult process but I’m glad that we have been exposed to this because it helps strengthen our writing abilities.  The most important thing in my opinion that we've learned is that writing news stories is an ongoing process with a lot of give and take.

When I wrote and turned in my first draft of the Obituary I thought I had it all figured out wrote the perfect paper, but after I got it sent back to me I realized that there were several mistakes, so I fixed them and then read my Obituary back and the revised version was so much better than the original.


I've also seen with the coaching buddies activities that we've done that hearing somebody else’s opinion on your writing also helps in the writing process.  Sometimes you may not see a mistake or an omission and you need another person’s view on content so peer editing is a very important tool.  I’m glad that we've done these activities because it has made us all better writers in the process, and hopefully the improvement continues throughout the rest of the semester.

-Tanner Saarnio

No comments:

Post a Comment